Interesting fact: 25% of deaths occur at home but more than 80% of Americans would prefer to die at home.Hospice services have been around since 1967.Palliative care started in the 1980s after the birth of the hospice movement. Today, hospice services are provided to ∼1.65 million patients per year, 66% of which are delivered in a patient’s residence and 26% in an inpatient hospice facility.
Many people ask me to explain the difference between Palliative and Hospice Care. Take a look at my video where I explain the difference between the two types of care.
- Both Hospice and Palliative address relief from pain and stress, complex symptoms with relief to serious illness.
- Both give comfort, making the patient comfortable.
- How does the care get paid? Hospice – Medicare; Palliative – Insurance or self
- What is the timing and flexibility of each?
- Who provides the care?
- What are the myths and facts attached to Hospice?